Romanian Design Week is the biggest multidisciplinary event in Romania. A 2-week festival that promotes design, architecture, creativity, and innovation as instruments for cultural, social, and economic growth.Romanian Design Week
Created by The Institute, Romanian Design Week is an annual festival that promotes design as a pad for cultural, social and economic growth.
By promoting interesting ideas, energy and dynamism, vibrant exhibitions and extraordinary collaborations, Romanian Design Week became the biggest multidisciplinary event in Romania.
Moreover, each year the festival marks off a map of the events and spaces that promote the design industry
Romanian Design Week is the biggest multidisciplinary event in Romania. A 2-week festival that promotes design, architecture, creativity, and innovation as instruments for cultural, social, and economic growth.
About Romanian Design Week 2023
In a constantly changing world, where networks are becoming complex and the population density is increasing, where the communication channels are constantly upgrading, and the challenges of expression are diversifying, with concerns such as how we connect with each other, where communities and dialogue spaces are becoming more and more complex, design is becoming an increasingly valuable tool to address and/or solve them. In this matter, Romanian Design Week, a project of The Institute, presented by UniCredit Bank, proposes for the 2023 edition the theme CONNECTIONS, in an attempt to generate spaces for dialogue and processes of creative cross-contamination to encourage interdisciplinary and collaborative projects.
Connections between various local creative industries, synergies between cultural operators, creative communities and their role in the cities they come from, and connecting the general public with local architecture and design projects are the basis of this year's theme, but also of the concepts of the new festival formats developed this year, thus:
- The RDW central exhibition dedicated to design and architecture presents more than 160 projects in the heart of Bucharest for 16 days. Under the theme CONNECTIONS, the 11th edition brings to the festival program the exhibition addressed to the projects of local creatives from the last two years in the categories of architecture, interior design, fashion, graphic design, illustration, and product design. The exhibition design is signed by Attila Kim Architects.
- Design GO! More than 100 related events make up this year's RDW Design GO! program, which takes place in four major districts throughout Bucharest, between May 12-28. Under the umbrella of RDW Design GO!, the festival proposes the largest program of satellite events so far, developed around some neighborhoods and historical areas of Bucharest, as well as a series of related events in public spaces. With a diverse program of talks, exhibitions, and open workshops, RDW Design GO! is a platform for dialogue and multidisciplinary exchange, both for the general public, consumers of design, and professionals, which demonstrates the concentrated energy of the city and the cultural-creative wealth hosted by four large Design Districts in the city: Cotroceni, Dorobanți-Floreasca, Cartierul Creativ, and Ioanid-Icoanei.
- The Night of Architecture Studios (Noaptea Studiourilor de Arhitectură), an original Romanian Design Week format, proposes an evening in which architects open their studios and workspaces to colleagues, friends, and the general public, to meet new people, present their latest projects and organize events and/or social gatherings, simultaneously. The Night of Architecture Studios takes place all over Bucharest on May, 25.
- Young design powered by Diploma, the most recent format within Romanian Design Week, brings the perspective of the new generation of Romanian architects and designers in a multidisciplinary exhibition, starting from the theme of CONNECTIONS and the concerns that accompany young creatives in their practice. More than 20 exhibitors, recent graduates of the country's creative-vocational universities, present their architecture, product design, graphic design, and fashion projects. A selection curated by the DIPLOMA Show team and put together by the BAZA team. The Young Design powered by Diploma selection can be visited in Amzei Market, between May 12-28.
- RDW Social comes with a series of parties, which creates the context for meetings and discussions, under the socializing pretext. With a line-up consisting of well-known artists as well as newcomers, RDW Social takes place in Amzei Market.
- RDW Talks promotes the most creative minds in Romania through a series of interviews with the people behind the 11th edition of Romanian Design Week. RDW Talks will be available online, and on social media, during April-May and is a project of Romanian Design Week and Black Rhino Radio, presented by UniCredit Bank and The Institute. The project is financed by the Ministry of Culture and carried out with the support of the Bucharest City Hall and ARCUB – the Cultural Center of the City of Bucharest. The cultural partner of RDW Talks is the Romanian Cultural Institute.
- RDW Market. We believe in the potential and importance of local design, and we look to the future and encourage dialogue and collaboration, but we also want to generate an increase in the consumption of Romanian design. At RDW Market you will discover a dialogue space, a design gallery, but also a series of capsule stores, with special objects, which you can admire, take home, or wear. RDW Market is open from May 12-28, in Amzei Market.
The 2023 edition identifies and analyzes the processes that generate innovation and truly remarkable projects, creates the contexts and pretexts necessary to encourage and promote them, revolving around concerns related to creative communities and their role in the development of cities, with a focus on multidisciplinarity, collaboration, and dialogue.
We look forward to seeing you at RDW2023!